Saturday, July 17, 2010

number five

Yep no point in dwelling now.... not got a call. I suppose I could keep telling myself that they might ring but realistically, I know that my referees have not been called, so they are hardly going to offer me the position. pppft.


I am currently reading In The Footsteps of Tenzing Norgay, Touching my Father's Soul by Jamling Tenzing Norgay. Great book so far. The insights into Jamling's journey are evoking and entertaining- hard to put down. Cannot wait until I return to Nepal and once again make the trek into the Khumbu. Already got the thoughts of what gear to bring and what to wear. I know, getting just a lot ahead of myself, but if you can't dream, then what else is there?

I've been thinking a lot about what to do since I've not had any luck getting a job job. I see that there is not too much point in continually applying for jobs without getting any responses without adding to your skills set and ultimately your resume or CV. There are a number of internship programs I have been looking into, but they just cost so much. I understand that there are costs involved. I get that.

There are too many people in this world getting rich off people just wanting to make a difference.

It has become fashionable, particularly in the UK to take a gap year and volunteer overseas. On paper, this is a great idea. Helping people while learning about yourself. Life experiences. In reality however, a lot of 'projects' are doing little good. And they are being charged an arm and a leg. I know from first hand experiences that only a very small proportion of money goes to the local community or to where it is needed most. Breaks my heart that it is becoming increasingly hard to find volunteer projects where the bulk of the money is not going straight into a couple pockets. Yes, there are administration costs, in-country support, marketing and advertisement costs, staff wages but the four thousand pounds some agencies are charging for a two week project is just extravagant. The local community that you are paying to help generally does not get a very large proportion of this, some even state that the donation is (as small as) $US200. 200 is a lot when the average annual wage is less than that, but still, out of thousands of dollars, two hundred is such a small percentage. This just raises the age old question that is something better than nothing?.


over and out... for now.


PS I really could go a sunny forest walk today.




No comments:

Post a Comment